ClariFix is an FDA-approved medical device used to treat chronic rhinitis in adults. It helps treat runny nose, nasal congestion and postnasal drip, which can be caused by out-of-balance nerves in the nose.
What Is Chronic Rhinitis?
Chronic rhinitis can be caused by allergies, sensitivities to the environment or age. The symptoms include nasal congestion, drippy nose and/or postnasal drainage. It may be important to rule out allergies as aggressive treatment of these might be needed. There are two important nerves that come into the nose. Parasympathetic nerves, when more active, cause nasal congestion and excessive mucous production. Sympathetic nerves, when active, cause the opposite. Unfortunately, these two nerves aren’t always in balance. With chronic rhinitis, the parasympathetic nerves are over-active and out of balance with the sympathetic nerves.
How Does ClariFix work?
ClariFix uses a treatment method called “cryotherapy” to reduce symptoms. Unlike other treatments like nasal sprays and over-the-counter pills, it addresses the root of the problem—the underlying nerves.
The device works by delivering cold temperatures to balance the nerves in the nose. This stops symptoms at the source. Four out of five patients report long-lasting improvement with ClariFix.
- How long will it take before my symptoms improve?
- Patients typically see improvement between two and four weeks after treatment.
- Can I feel the device?
- Some patients report feeling slight nasal pressure, a cooling sensation around the nose and/or molars and other mild discomforts.
- Are there any side effects?
- The most common side effects are temporary worsening of congestion and brief pain/discomfort. A short-lived headache happens in a small percentage of patients.
- How long does treatment take?
- A ClariFix procedure takes about 30 minutes, and most of that time is spent making sure you are comfortable and don’t feel the treatment.
Call St. Cloud Ear, Nose & Throat for more information or to schedule an appointment. (320) 252-0233